School District 189’s Department of Curriculum and Instruction works to support schools and ensure that every child has access to high-quality teaching and learning in every classroom in the district. Our goal is to support academic achievement for every child. The Curriculum and Development Team supports curriculum and instructional strategy development, using the most up-to-date research and practice to guide development. In addition, the team provides professional development for teachers across the district including workshops, 1:1 coaching, and professional learning communities.
Department Mission Statement:
Our mission is to share the responsibility for learning by providing support and guidance to ensure the success of all students.
We believe that:
- we provide service to the district learning community through support, guidance, resources, collaboration and leadership.
- decisions are based on what is best for each individual student.
- by valuing diversity, we provide equity and excellence for all.
- the alignment of curriculum, assessment, and instruction promotes student success.
- all members are unique with special talents that add value to the learning community.
- effective communication leads to consistency and synergy.
Family Science Night
Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader? Math Competition
MathCON online math competition for secondary math students
Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) Grant
Guest and student storyteller presentations
Parent Literacy Leaders book giveaway
Jennifer Brumback, Chief Academic Officer
Kay Brown, Mathematics Content Specialist
Esther Spells, English Language Arts (ELA) Content Specialist
Gregory D. Turner, Social Science Content & Curriculum Specialist
Gwendolyn Randolph, Science Content Specialist